Scrap Metal Unit
Strengthening Regulatory Framework for International Best Practices
The goal of the Scrap Metal Unit (SMU) is to monitor and regulate the scrap metal trade.
The Trade helps to increase foreign exchange while creating jobs, both directly and indirectly. It also improves and preserves the environment, which aligns with the Government’s Low Carbon Development Strategy.
Purpose of the Department
To register and provide business support to Scrap Metal Traders in keeping with the objectives of a ‘clean’ trade.
- Registering different categories of persons/agencies involved in the trade.
- Registration of Scrap Metal Yards/Loading Sites and Equipment.
- Monitor the acquisition of Scrap Metal – ensuring it is legitimately acquired and properly transported.
- Ensuring the installation; and then monitor the CCTV 24 hour’s surveillance of scrap metal yards.
- Monitor the loading of containers for export, along with other Government Agencies, to ensure that illicit
- goods – namely narcotics are not shipped.
- Acquiring and storage of CCTV footage of every loading activity.
How do I register to become a Dealer/Exporter?
Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org expressing your interest and we will advise you of the steps to take.
Are there any fees for registration?
Yes, there are fees for the different categories of registration.
What are the different categories of registration?
Currently we have:
2. Exporter (only)
5. Motor Salvage Operator
6. Scrap Metal Yards
7. Temporary Loading Sites
8. Special Equipment