The Guyana National Bureau of Standards
Ensuring Standards and Quality in Guyana.
The Guyana National Bureau of Standards (GNBS), operating under the Ministry of Business is a semi-autonomous governmental organization responsible for standards and quality in Guyana.
GNBS was established in March 1985, under Act No. 11 of the year 1984. It has the legal status of a statutory corporation governed by a National Standards Council (NSC), which is appointed by the Minister of Business.
The GNBS is a self-revenue generating agency and is also funded by the Government of Guyana. It is the only National Standards Body in Guyana. It is also an ISO 9001:2015 certified agency.
The GNBS is headed by an Executive Director and a Deputy Director who work in alignment in the operations of the agency. The Executive Director has responsibility of overseeing the corporate departments while the Deputy Director oversees the technical departments.
• Human Resources and Administration
• Information Communication and Technology
• Marketing and Communications
• Business Support Services
• Calibration and Testing Services
• Certification Services
• Legal Metrology Services
• Product Compliance Services
• Standardization Services
To develop and implement the National Quality Infrastructure in partnership with key stakeholders towards sustainable socio-economic development and consumer protection.
To be the premiere National institution for standards and quality in Guyana.
Our Core Services
• Calibration and Testing
• Certification (Product, Laboratories & Auditing)
• Goods Inspection
• Standards Development
• Training and Consultancy
• Supports trade and enhances business competitiveness through standards.
• Facilitates business growth and development- standards are implemented to help industry enhance its efficiency and the quality of products offered for sale.
• Support the establishment of a National Quality Infrastructure-key services, such as verification, calibration, testing and certification are offered to the National Framework to ensure quality products and services
• Protects consumers- standards are enforced to protect Consumers from poor quality products and services.